I’ve been trying to get into the spirit and decorate my house, however when we decided not to mount our tv on the wall and instead set it on our mantle, I lost my go to decorating spot. Luckily we live in an old house with lots of built ins and so today I FINALLY got it together and decorated our more prominent living room built in for Halloween. Here is a picture of what it looked like before I got started. It was confused to say the least.
The first thing I did was gather all my Halloween stuff. I realized at this point that I don’t have that much awesome Halloween things, which is both tragic (since it’s my favorite holiday) and exciting (I get to find some new stuff)! This project was super quick and easy and cost me nothing since I already had all the things I needed around the house. The pumpkin is one of those Styrofoam ones from the dollar store. It was a little too orange and Styrofoam looking for me so I decided to add some decoupaged vintage sheet music to it.
The first thing you need to do is tear up your sheet music in to strips about 1″ wide and 4 inches long. I started off with bigger ones, but they were really hard to wrap around the curved sides of the pumpkins so I ended up ripping them smaller. The next step is the smear (yep that’s the technical term) mod podge on the pumpkin. I worked in 3 inch sections so that it didn’t make tooooo much of a mess. Lay your strips one at a time onto the pumpkin and then apply more mod podge over them until the are kind of soft and pliable and easy to form to the curved sides of the pumpkin. Repeat this process until your whole pumpkin is covered in awesome vintage sheet music.
While my pumpkin was drying I took a strand of jewelry wire that I picked up in the $1 bins of the Walmart craft jewelry section. I wrapped it around a pencil to create a nice even spiral and then cut it in half. I poked a couple of starter holes in the top of pumpkin with the pencil tip and then stuck one end of each of the wires into the hole.
Then I snipped a couple of leaves off of a bunch of fake flowers I found when I was cleaning my craft room over the weekend (it is amazing what you will find after 3 moves and no time to really ever work on your own space). I attached them to the pumpkin with some straight sewing pins underneath the wires. That was it! Super simple and easy to complete start to finish during naptime.
Here are some fun shots of my built ins with their new decor.
And now it’s time to PARTY!!!
Please read and follow the rules before adding your link.
1. You may link up as many projects as you would like. They need to be YOUR creations and projects.
2. Link directly to your post and NOT to your main blog.
3. Please no giveaways, promotions, items for sale, roundups, or posts that do not belong to you.
4. Please make sure to click and check out the other projects linked up!
*By submitting your link you are authorizing me to post your projects and pictures as a feature and on various social media websites along with links to your post. I have the right to delete links that do not adhere to the rules.