This project has been on my list forever! I am so excited to be crossing the first item off my 12 Pinterest Pins goal for 2014 so early in the year. I knew that I wanted to make one of these from the minute I first saw the one that Mamie Jane made. I was not willing to spend big bucks buying a cutting board and knew that if I was patient I would find one at a second hand store. Luck was on my side a few weeks ago when I found this beauty for only $0.50!!! It was the perfect size to fit my Note II and it was as if the skies opened up and shone down on me. Do you ever have those moments when thrifting? Like the most perfect thing at the most perfect time just appears in front of you like magic? It can’t just be me!!
Anyway…I had a couple of scrabble tile holders left over from when my hubby and I first moved in together. We both owned scrabble, which meant that i was gifted a full game of tiles and holders for crafting. Used scrabble games are super hard to come by at thrift stores ever since they became the hottest trend in so many diy projects. Okay, I am off topic. I simple set the tile holder on the tiny cutting board and made a little mark where it needed to be cut. I used our chop saw to cut off the excess and then applied some E6000 onto the back and stuck it on. A few hours later it was ready to use! Easy peasy.
I couldn’t find a triangle block to glue onto the back so I made my own! I had a bunch of 2×4 pieces laying around (literally a pile on my craft room floor that I kept tripping over) and wouldn’t you know or one of them wall already cut on an angle on one side. I simply used the chop saw to cut off that triangular piece and gave it a quick sanding. I then used some more E6000 to attach it to the back of my stand. This helped it stand on it’s own a little less precariously. It also has a leather cord tied through the top so I can hang it up on the side of my spice rack when I’m not using it.
Once the glue was dry I gave it a quick coat of the same chalky finish paint I used on my backsplash. I chose the light gray color because I wanted something that would match my phone. I know I’m a dork! Anyway, once the paint was dry I decided to try distressing it a little bit. I sanded really lightly some of the edges and a bit of the holder. I then gave it a quick rub of some craft stain.
Unfortunately it didn’t work out quite how I had planned, however I really like how it now had a really interesting finish. Not quite wood grain, not painted, not metallic. This makes it really interesting! Once that was dry I sealed it with the same sealant as my backsplash and let it dry again. All in all the only thing I had to purchase for this project was the cutting board so it only cost me $0.50! Compared to the original pottery barn one ($34) and even Mamie Jane’s ($2) I think that is a steal! Not to mention I use it EVERY single day.