Summertime and the living’s easy. I’ve been cooking and baking up a storm lately! Figuring out how to sneak a few more veggies into my kids diet has been an ongoing adventure around these parts. Luckily, if you add cheese to almost anything my kids are in!
I picked up a bunch of zucchini the other day with the intent of making zucchini bread, but wouldn’t you know it, I grabbed a couple too many. So I had to get a little creative with it!
These zucchini taco rolls were quick and easy to whip up and a huge hit with 2/3’s of my kids. There’s always one you can’t please. It would be super easy to modify this recipe to use ground beef, sliced steak, or even to take them to the vegetarian side.
These zucchini taco rolls take about 15 minutes to put together and bake up in 20-25 minutes, which makes them a quick and easy summertime dinner option! Also, recently my family was turned on to Mexican sour cream, which I wasn’t expecting to be as amazing as it is. If you see it at your local grocery store, I highly suggest you pick some up. Your sour cream life will never be the same!
- 1 large zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 2 cups of cooked shredded chicken
(rotisserie chicken or even canned chicken makes this super easy!)
- 1 teaspoons of Taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup corn kernels
- 1/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of salsa
- Cilantro or parsley to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add zucchini to a sheet pan and bake for 5-10 minutes, remove from oven. Once zucchini has slightly cooled, gently remove excess water with a paper towel. Put zucchini to the side.
- In a bowl, add chicken, beans, corn, and seasonings. Mix and set aside.
- Add salsa to the bottom of a baking pan.
- Line up zucchini slices, add one tablespoon of chicken mixture to a slice of zucchini. Gently roll zucchini. Place zucchini, seam side down onto the pan. Repeat with remaining zucchini.
- Cover zucchini rolls with cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and slightly golden colored.
Makes 16 rolls.
If you like these you might also be interested in these other recipes!